The yarns used were Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo 14 oz. /396 g, 744 yds./681 m 100 % Acrylic 4 ply Worsted
in 0319 Cherry Red and 0311 White
0312 Black Red Hear Super Saver 7 oz./ 198 g, 364 yds. /333 m 100 % Acrylic 4 ply worsted and
100 Sparkle White Red Heart Super Saver 60 % Acrylic and 40 % Nylon
I started with the booties for the suit. They were the simplest things to do. I also just finished some pumpkin booties for his Halloween costume.
I used the following pattern.
Kindle Ebook: Beginner’s Guide to Crochet Patterns by Emily Nelson Location 1499
I got this book in a free promotion for a 3 book bundle on Amazon.The bundle is now priced at $4.99 US dollars.
The amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Crochet-Beginners-Stitches-Patterns-ebook/dp/B00NYCMJF0/ref=la_B00NNVQJS0_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446996584&sr=1-3
Martin’s Santa Hat was made by altering RedHeart Santa Hat Pattern #LW 2256 designed by Edie Eckman. The reason I chose this pattern was because it was the one I used to make his daddy, Justin’s Santa Hat. I looked at several patterns, this one was the easiest for me to understand and within my skill level at the time. Also it did the best job of slowly coming to a peak. Most of the others I saw were like a dome with a cone on it. So since I was familiar with the pattern I thought it would be easier for me to alter it to fit Martin.
I used my 4.25mm G/6 hook.
Row 1: I used 6 chain stitches, sc in 2nd chain from hook sc across turn. (5)
Row 2: I Chained 1, sc crochet in back loops only across repeated unit piece measured 14 inches. (Which was the circumference of Martin’s head when he was born.)
I slip stitched the ends together to form the loop/circle for the brim.
I did rounds 1- 3 of the pattern which gave me 50 stitches around. I then skipped to round 9 of the pattern, because that round was closest to the 50 stitch count I had. I followed the pattern through to round 18. I then did the “Next Rounds ” section of the pattern. And viola, Martin sized hat. I think I nailed it.
I then moved on to making the pants. It was this little pattern that got me thinking I could make a little Santa suit for Martin and I also had just finished up his Pumpkin Costume for Halloween.
The pattern I used.
Kindle Ebook: “Crochet for Babies 20 Easy and Adorable Baby Crochet Patterns That You Can Make Today” Location: 64
By Posh Patterns copyright 2015
I got this book in a free promotion on Amazon it is now priced at $2.99 US dollars.
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-For-Babies-Adorable-Patterns-ebook/dp/B00VQVQHAO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Author’s Blog with more free patterns http://www.poshpatternsblog.com/
It took me a few days to find a pattern that I liked and thought would fall in to my skill level. I came across this pattern. I was familiar with her work as I had used her pattern to make Martin some little blue booties. And the all in one piece appealed to me because I didn’t want to do a bunch of different pieces that had to be sewn together or what if they didn’t match up.
The pattern calls for working in the back loops only. I did not want ribs for the Santa Suit, so I went through both loops.
Santa’s coat usually has a belt that goes around the middle. So I had to fashion my own belt loops to add to the coat and a little belt too.
I single crocheted 3 pieces that were about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long. One was placed on the back of the coat. The other 2 were placed on the front panels of the coat.
I used a 2 inch by 2 inch piece of plastic canvas and cut holes in it to make it look like a buckle. I then stitched it with 602 Dark Gold Red Heart Wintuk yarn. 4 oz. 100% virgin orlon acrylic fiber 4 ply worsted knitting. I do not know how to do cross stitch, so I think I did alright.
The belt is a 4 sc chain which was started on the canvas by loosely threading the yarn through four holes on the canvas. I repeated the chain until it was 20 inches long then I decreased by doing 2sctogether until it was a point. I had to undo the belt once, the first time it was too short and scrunched up the coat.
I used a 5 double crochet shell stitch for the collar and single crochet to trim out the sleeve cuffs, along the bottom, and the left front panel. I found to small buttons on an old skirt and sewed them below the collar and above the belt. I didn’t have to make loops as they fit nicely through the double crochet stitches.
The Coat Passed Sully’s Quality Control Inspection
The Whole Ensemble Laid Out Together