David’s Spring Cleaning Projects

And why I am glad he is doing one of them.

 

As I mentioned in previous posts, David has been able to get outside and work on projects.

He went out to the shed the other day to get the worm bedding for the worm box and he has not looked back since. He has been cleaning stuff out, reorganizing his urban prospecting inventory, and cleaning up the shed. I don’t have any before photos because it was a spur of the moment, spontaneous, got the motivation going project. 🙂

Here is what he has accomplished so far.


The other project that is occupying his time is building the retaining wall around the steps to the shed.

This is a photo of the shed stairs from a few years ago.

73 The step I fell down 2

I am glad that David is doing the work on them.

 I fell down these steps on November 22, 2011. I think I didn’t quite lift my foot enough over that retaining board in the front. I went down and fell to my knees and caught my side on the side board. It took me a bit to catch my breath before I could get my self back up. David and Nick were both right there neither of them saw me fall. I was able to walk bent over into the house. The pain was terrible and I could not straighten up. So David took me to the emergency room. The doctor checked me over. I had no broken ribs and nothing internal had been ruptured thank goodness. He asked how bad the pain was. I said it was worse than any pain relievers we had at home could handle. So he gave me a script.  I wrapped my ribs and went back to work after missing one day.

                                                                    73a My bruised ribbys day  3 My rib bruise 3 days after fall.

Ok, enough of that.

This is David’s progress on the retaining wall so far.

Two Home Improvement Projects Down

And One More To Go!

This summer we have been getting some home improvement projects done that have been put off for some time. The first project was blocking a window and installing an AC. My son had been wanting to block off his east window because the sun shining on it would make his room so hot. Well he finally got the AC unit and the materials to block the window at the end of June. David , our son Nick, and our son-in-law Justin spent about a week working on it here and there when the weather allowed. Didn’t want the window out and nothing in its place on that rainy day. They got the job done and it looks awesome. Now my son sits in his room all nice and cool, while David and I hope we can get the humidity down with the dehumidifier so we can run the swamp cooler to cool the rest of the mobile home.

The swamp cooler was the next project that was tackled. During the winter the snow would sit on the cooler and when it melted it would run into the house and eventually was rotting out the wood siding they installed around it when the swamp cooler was installed way before we ever bought the house. So David remove that and cleaned off the pound of caulk they had used to try to “seal” the wood siding. Whoever installed the swamp cooler did a bang up job.<That is some sarcasm for you 🙂  David used materials left over from Nick’s AC project. I helped a little bit by trying to remove some of that caulk after David sliced his finger on the aluminum window frame the swamp cooler sits in. I also did the painting after it was all installed.

The next project is still in progress. We have been needing to replace the front storm door. This was also improperly installed long before we ever bought the house. David has done nothing but complain about how terribly it was done.  He says this is the worst cobbled and McGuyvered thing he has seen. He has been using lots of colorful metaphors This project is still in progress as the weather turned really hot it has been in the high nineties.  We have a deck outside this door but it’s not enclosed or even covered so it gets pretty hot out there. So this is what Dave has done so far.