Busy in The Backyard

 

David spent a couple of hours yesterday doing some more raking in the backyard. He hauled 8 more full blue trash cans around front to the growing leaf pile. It then shrinks a bit because we have had some crazy windy days. The wind was actually helpful to David yesterday, it was blowing from the west which was the same direction he was raking. No raking against the wind!

I just stayed indoors crocheting. I finished a baby beanie and started a baby bucket hat. I also vacuumed, did dishes, scooped litter boxes, and made pork soup for supper. So I was keeping busy too.

Here are photos of David’s Day of Raking Befores and Afters.

_______________________________________________________________

The area beside the trailer and the back steps.

_____________________________________________________________________

David did this area last time but he just got the first layer raked.

He got down to the nitty gritty yesterday.

_____________________________________________________________________

He still has the strawberry patch to go. He saved that for another day.

_____________________________________________________________________

The back steps and under the swamp cooler after David arranged everything.

 

 

A Weekend of Yard Work

 

David and I each had a productive day. Let’s start with Saturday. I spent the morning cooking a nice chicken dinner in the crock pot and some butternut squash in the oven to have when Kay, Justin, and Marty came over. I did some computer stuff and probably some crocheting.

David spent his morning tackling the backyard.

 

Saturday afternoon he had the help of Justin.

So he got on BOB the Rv to caulk and spray the holes in the roof that leaked over the winter.

So that concluded David’s productive day.

_________________________________________________________________________

I spent my Sunday morning digging and raking out the flowerbed around the deck after I got my peppers started in this little heated greenhouse, we received from my brother-in-law. I started them in the Jiffy Peat Pot kit which I then placed in the little greenhouse. The ones with the toothpicks are green bell peppers and the others are small sweet peppers.

The afternoon and early evening was spent eating, relaxing, and visiting with Kay, Justin, and Marty. Marty was in a bit of a grumpy mood. So Kay had him sit with her and read him his story books. He had her read the same one about five times. Then Grandpa had to read it two times. I was lucky, I got to read a different story but still had to read it twice. This helped him get over his grumpy mood. He then brought much laughter and joy to all as he was back to his happy self. ­čśÇ

It was a good thing that we got in a couple of productive days.

THIS IS WHAT I WOKE UP TO THIS MORNING!!!!

Look What I Did On Independence Day!

Whilst Sully was getting his snootful of catnip I was transplanting marigolds all over the yard.

I decided to transplant the two plants I had growing in the clay pots.

They were getting sickly. They were pretty root bound when I transplanted them.

I won’t be surprised if the sicker of the two doesn’t survive.

I also transplanted eleven seedlings that I had in some peat pods to this flower bed. One of these may not make it in the big world either.

I started near the deck steps and continued along the tie to the other end where I transplanted the healthier of the clay pot plants.

2016 Garden161


Then I was off to the backyard to transplant this bunch.

2016 Garden167

I planted 15 seedlings in the strawberry / pepper patch. I don’t think all of them will survive as some of them were small or sickly.

The other area was the east end garden with the yellow squash and turnips which David planted.

I planted seven to fill in the corner where I had transplanted my first batch of marigolds.

I then transplanted 6 more in line with the original batch.

I think the ones in the squash area will all survive they were some of the bigger healthier seedlings.


So all totaled I transplanted 39 seedlings and two plants.

I will give them about a week to see how many were survivors. ­čÖé

Yardwork, a Butterfly, Earthworms, Flowers and a Bumble Bee.

This morning was for doing some yard work. I decided I would finish raking the leaf pile in the backyard that we left the last week. I raked them off the grass onto the dirt patio. Scooped them up and packed them into the blue 35 gallon trashcan.

As I was raking I found a couple of good-sized earthworms under the leaves that were in the corner of the patio.I picked them up and took them in the house. They were put in the worm box in the fridge for fishing this weekend!

I then transported the leaves over to the leaf pile in the new garden area. It took me 3 loads to transport all the leaves and 2 small loads of extra dirt. Dave is going to rake this out over the area and then mow it up. This will add organics to the area when it is dug or tilled in. Dave has not decided if he is going to purchase a new tiller or not yet. When I had finished up, Dave came out and brought the garden hose around and watered the strawberries.

He said that I was his hero for the day because I raked up those leaves he had been looking at for the last couple of days but just couldn’t find the motivation to do it. He has been battling a cold bug for the last week and has just been fatigued as he has not been sleeping well due to his coughing fits at night. Well I helped him find some motivation today. He has continued doing stuff in the backyard. He flipped the big metal fish tank over and sprayed it off. We keep the small fish we catch in it for use as bait for the bigger fish we want to catch. He is also raking some leaves in the backyard on the other side of the tree.

One final note, all this yard work can lead to house work.

Who drug in all this dirt! I am not sweeping it up!

Who drug in all this dirt! I am not sweeping it up!